Today, the Crès lake is a place for leisure and relaxing, open to the public 365 days a year. This 27 hectare site is accessible by car but also by foot or by bike from the line 2 Tram stop ‘Via Domitia’.
In addition to the lake, the local Council has developed 10 km of cycle paths, part of which run alongside the Salaison river.
Le Crès also has a historical centre, ‘wine-maker’ style houses, a Town Hall and the Saint-Martin church. Let’s not forget the bullfight arena built in 1995, where there are organised camarguaises bull running (courses camarguaises) a bloodless alternative to bullfighting, from June to September and the market which takes place every Sunday morning.
The arena often plays host to a now famous local child : Rémi Gaillard.
If the municipality is quite recent, the site of Le Crès has been inhabited for a very long time.
Remains dating from the Paleolithic age and the Gallo-Roman period can confirm that. If the village developped during the 6th and 7th centuries, the history of Le Crès is then linked to that of the Lords of Castries, of the Guilhem, the Maguelone Bishops, the Mauguio Counts and the Lords of Montpellier.
Integrated with the Municipality of Castelnau, Le Crès got its independence from an 1872 Republican decree.
The Crès lake is 15 metres deep and spreads over 6 hectares. Its origin is a former quarry where limestone was extracted. Cracks in the stone allowed underground water sources to progressively fill the cavity.
A mosaic of atmospheres
Our tourist advisers
welcome you every day
30 Place de la Comédie Montpellier
9.30am - 6pm (Mon-Sat) / 10am - 5pm (Sun.&Bank holidays).
Our tourist information offices
Lattes : +33 (0)4 67 22 52 91
Villeneuve-lès- Maguelone : 07 87 25 67 45
Castries : +33 (0)4 67 52 04 24
3 reasons to visit us