The Hôtel des Trésoriers de France or de Lunaret is the former residence of the merchant Jacques Coeur, which he occupied in the middle of the 15th century. Louis XIII lived there in 1632. The house is almost 1,500 m2 in size and was listed as a historical monument in 1931.
It currently houses the Musée Languedocien. When it was restored its 15th century ceilings were updated with polychrome on wood and squinches (known as “coquilles”).
Versailles influences can be seen in the sculpted pediments featuring suns, the symbol of King Louis XIV.
Opposite is the Chapelle des Pénitents Blancs (Chapel of White Penitents), formerly the property of Jacques Coeur. Previously a covered arch connected the two buildings and the shape of the arch can still be seen today.
7 rue Jacques Coeur 34000 MONTPELLIER Montpellier Centre