The Place du Marché aux Fleurs is located right in the historical city centre of Montpellier, not far from the Préfecture.
In the past, the Couvent des Capucins (Capuchin Convent) was located at this place.
After the revolution of 1789, the convent was sold as a national property and destroyed to create the Place des Capucins (capuchin Square).
In 1814, the square was renamed in Place du Marché aux Fleurs (but today the Flower market takes places in Espace Mosson).
A Louis XVI statue was settled in the middle of the Square in 1829, but nowadays it has been removed to set a fountain by Manuel Clemente Ochoa.
The place du Marché aux Fleurs is a pleasant place to relax on a terrace of the numerous restaurants and bars.