In 1469, Raoul Bocaud, the first of a family of high-ranking magistrates, bought some farmland in Jacou and had a house built on it. Later, Pierre de Bocaud, the regional Auditor-General, had the building remodelled in a 17th century style. The building was changed further in the 18th and 19th centuries.
This Montpellier folie overlooks terraces connected by stairs with French-style flowerbeds and ornamental boxwood. The 18th-century garden has been listed as a historical monument since 2000. Near the lake is an exceptional feature: a nymph grotto decorated with rocks and shells.
The garden is open in June for the “Le Temps des Jardins” garden festival and on European heritage days. Group guided tours given by the Association Histoire et Patrimoine (History and Heritage Association).
Located to the north of Montpellier, this little village was the home of wine makers for centuries.Now, Clapiers has developed considerably. One of the jewels of this village is its forest. It covers 170 hectares. A par...
A mosaic of atmospheres
Montpellier, festive, mediterranean and creative city...