In 1678, Louis XIV gave the order for a general hospital to be built for the poor and destitute on the site of the Couvent des Carmes (Carmes Convent).
The chapel assigned to the hospital, dedicated to Saint Charles, was extended and remodelled by Jean Giral in 1751, then by Jacques Nogaret.
It has quite an unusual floor plan: its two levels of galleries, equivalent to the floors of the hospital, meant residents could see everything that was going on!
Listed as a historical monument in 1947, the chapel now houses the Maison des Choeurs where the city's choristers rehearse and public concerts are held.
Tramway / streetcar line : Ligne 1 et 4, arrêt Albert 1er
Place Albert 1er34000 MONTPELLIERMontpellier Centre
A mosaic of atmospheres
Montpellier, festive, mediterranean and creative city...
Our tourist advisers
welcome you every day
30 Place de la Comédie Montpellier
9.30am - 7.30pm (Mon-Sat)
10am - 5pm (Sun.&Bank holidays).
Our tourist information offices
Lattes : +33 (0)7 72 43 65 08
Villeneuve-lès- Maguelone : 07 87 25 67 45
Castries : +33 (0)4 67 52 04 24