The Tour des Pins is one of the last two towers of the medieval enclosure of Montpellier (with the Tour de la Babote).
Montpellier became a consular city on August, 15th 1204, when the bourgeoisie and the influent people of Montpellier obtained from Pierre II of Aragon and his wife Marie de Montpellier an agreement of customs and freedoms. Its municipal life was organized in relationship with this agreement which accorded the governement of the City to twelve consuls chosen among the job representatives classified in scales.
These consuls must be born in Montpellier or be living in this city for 10 years. After their election the new consuls wore their red costume and their black hat and they took an oath.
Nowadays, the Barons de Caravètes in the Tour des Pins perpetuate this tradition.