The Couvent des Ursulines (Ursuline Convent) was built in 1641 by the architect Jean Bonnassier in the Rue Sainte-Ursule district for the Ursuline congregation, to give girls an education and take care of the sick and needy.
During the Revolution it was converted into a women's prison, then used as a barracks.
During the German occupation, the Gestapo used the Ursuline convent as an interrogation centre.
In 1980 the city of Montpellier bought the convent, which was going to be destroyed, and used it to house the National Choreographic Centre and Montpellier Danse. The building was renamed the Agora, international dance academy.
The façades of the Ursuline Convent have been listed as a historical monument since 1991.