The name of the village of Baillargues appeared for the first time on a document dated 819 AD.
A roman called Baillus had a villa. The domain expands and progressively becomes a village. During the 100 Years War an enclosure was built around the houses and the church. A 14th century door, vestige of this rampart, remains today.
► In the Metropolis at Baillargues, along the old imperial road, you can admire a 94 m long mural painted by Claire Aton in 2018 and commemorating the Napoleonic epic!
► Another fresco represents Baillargues under the Revolution.
Adorning the old Maison du Peuple located in the heart of the city, rue de la Poste, the fresco of nearly 90m2 is presented as a play in which several sketches shed light on different aspects of everyday life in 1794.
On either side, six medallions represent three influential women and three men of the time:
► Another fresco is dedicated to the olive-growing tradition.
Located on rue Croix de Jallé, the old fresco was replaced in early 2020 by this new fresco dedicated to olive growing, produced by Claire Aton.
► A medieval fresco on the “traditional square”
The City has thus fitted out a new square, embellished by a fresco dedicated to the life of yesteryear. For this new achievement, the request was to recreate the atmosphere of a medieval village with its traders.