Adjacent to St. Peter's Cathedral, the university is located in a former 14th century monastery that was devoted to law and theology. Lord Guilhem VII had already signed an edict authorizing the teaching of medicine in Montpellier, but it was not until 1220 that the "Faculty of Medicine" was officially recognized.
It is the oldest medical school in the West that is still functioning. The walls of the hall are decorated with portraits of the most famous teachers in formal dress, among them a certain François Rabelais.
The Faculty houses numerous treasures, including a library of 900 manuscript volumes, 300 incunabula, 100,000 volumes printed before 1800, and all the theses produced by the faculties of Montpellier and Paris since the 17th century .
CURIOSITIES AND ANATOMY
The Conservatory of Anatomy seems to hold a particular fascination. Nearly one hundred metres long and adorned with columns, the room contains numerous display cases that offer an impressive inventory of medical progress over the past 200 years. Jars, skulls and castings of a remarkable realism surround a resin écorché model that stands in the centre of the room.
The second floor of the conservatory houses the imposing collections of the Delmas-Orfila-Rouvière museum, consisting of écorchés and wax anatomical models from the last two centuries.
The Faculty and the Conservatory of Anatomy can be visited exclusively with the Tourist Office.