25 km north east of Montpellier, the village of Beaulieu is known and reknowned for its stone quarries. Indeed the Beaulieu limestone can be found in numerous buildings in the surrounding area : Montpellier, Sète and beyond the Mediterranean sea.


Established in 1194 by the Count of Toulouse, Raymond the 6th, the Beaulieu Manor is the result of a fusion of two distinct villages :

Saint-Pierre d’Aissadanègue huddled at the foot of the castle and Notre-Dame-de-Beaulieu built around the chapel of Notre Dame de la Pitié.

This village is famous for limestone.

Famous since Antiquity, the extraction of the Beaulieu stones continued until the Middle Ages. It was  used to build castles, churches and bridges of the région.
Quarry mining work was tough but very well paid  and attracted workers from the Aveyron and Lozere neighbouring areas as well as local agricultural labourers.

Two quarries are still in operation today. The municipality workshops use this fine material of choice to produce fountains, door surrounds, staircases…

Right in the middle of the garrigue, the former quarries  now house an open air theatre (only open in the summer), as well as paths for mountain biking, jogging or walking.