Chapelle Penitents Blancs

WHITE PENITENTS CHAPEL

Religious site, Chapel in Montpellier
Free
  • The Sainte-Foy chapel located right beside the Place de la Comédie is now owned by the Brotherhood of White Penitents.

    Inside is a magnificent painted ceiling and gold-coloured wooden decoration, which led it to be named the “Sistine of Languedoc”.

    Sainte-Foy was in all likelihood built in the 12th century along the Camin Roumieu, Saint James' Way for pilgrims. The chapel was destroyed in about 1561 during the Catholic-Protestant war. The land was used as an open-air cemetery. Then in 1623...
    The Sainte-Foy chapel located right beside the Place de la Comédie is now owned by the Brotherhood of White Penitents.

    Inside is a magnificent painted ceiling and gold-coloured wooden decoration, which led it to be named the “Sistine of Languedoc”.

    Sainte-Foy was in all likelihood built in the 12th century along the Camin Roumieu, Saint James' Way for pilgrims. The chapel was destroyed in about 1561 during the Catholic-Protestant war. The land was used as an open-air cemetery. Then in 1623 it was given to the White Penitents, who rebuilt it.
  • Access
    • Tramway / streetcar line  :  Ligne 1 arrêt Comédie
  • Environment
    • Montpellier Comédie
Services
  • Accessibility
    • Reception of disabled persons
  • Rates
  • Free admission
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2024
Close