URSULINE CONVENT

  • Religious site
  • Convent
3 boulevard Louis Blanc 34000 Montpellier
The Couvent des Ursulines (Ursuline Convent) was built in 1641 by the architect Jean Bonnassier in the Rue Sainte-Ursule district for the Ursuline congregation, to give girls an education and take care of the sick and needy.

During the Revolution it was converted into a women's prison, then used as a barracks.
During the German occupation, the Gestapo used the Ursuline convent as an interrogation centre.

In 1980 the city of Montpellier bought the convent, which was going to be destroyed,...
Location
URSULINE CONVENT
3 boulevard Louis Blanc 34000 Montpellier
Environment
  • Montpellier Centre
  • Historic district
Access
  • Tramway / streetcar line : Ligne 1 arrêt Louis Blanc
Close